What is the PE and sport premium for primary schools?
Since 2013, the Government have spent millions on improving physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. Westgate Academy must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport that we offer.
This means that we use the premium to:
- Develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport activities that your school already offers
- Build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
There are 5 key indicators we use to secure improvements:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
For example, we can use our funding to:
- Provide staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively and embed physical activity across your school
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities
- Introduce new sports, dance or other activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- Support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, and running or extending school sports and holiday clubs
- Enter or run more sport competitions
- Partner with other schools to run sports activities and clubs
- Increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- Raise attainment in primary school swimming to meet requirements of the national curriculum before the end of key stage 2
- Embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching.
Please see below, how we are used the Sport Premium in academic year 2021/22.